Ormond man arrested after he was found showering inside someone else's home

This week in Cops Corner...

  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • Cops Corner
  • Share

March 31

Rabid raccoon on the loose?

1:01 p.m. — 600 block of North Yonge Street, Ormond Beach

Firing weapon. Police responded to a residential area after a 65-year-old Ormond Beach man fired a gun at a "rabid" raccoon.

Officers were dispatched to the neighborhood after receiving a call about a shooting. Once they arrived, they spoke with the man who told them he had been having an issue with a rabid raccoon that "has been trying to attack people" according to a police report. He said he had been at his brother-in-law's house when they both went across the street to another home, at which point the the raccoon jumped out from the bushes and tried to attack them.

The man said he tried to shoot at the raccoon with his gun, but that it malfunctioned, so he used his brother-in-law's gun, discharging one round. 

The raccoon, the man said, ran up a palm tree and because he didn't have a clear shot, he didn't shoot a second time. He told officers he was advised by Animal Control that he could shoot the raccoon because it was allegedly rabid. 

Witnesses told police that they had heard gun shots in previous days. Instead of being taken to jail, the man was released with a notice to appear in court. 

April 27

Bathroom burglar

12:40 p.m. — 300 block of Collins Street, Ormond Beach

Burglary of an unoccupied dwelling. A 41-year-old Ormond Beach man was arrested after he was found showering in house in which he didn't live.

One of the home's owner told police that he was having construction work completed when a worker alerted him that there was a man inside that claimed to live in the house. The man had removed the key from the lock box to gain entry that morning, and when workers arrived soon afterward and locked him out, he informed them he lived in the house and was let back in. 

The home's owners then arrived to find the man showering, and when they told him to leave, the man once again claimed he lived there, according to a police report.

When police arrived, the man was still in the shower. Officers announced their presence and ordered him to open the bathroom door, but he refused and continued to shower. He was then removed from the shower by police.

The man refused to both speak to officers and put clothes on, according to the police report, and was escorted out of the home in a towel. He was taken to jail.


Latest News


Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning local news.