Man needing to charge his phone is arrested after seen opening electrical panel in random home

This week on Cops Corner...

  • By
  • | 3:50 p.m. September 10, 2019
  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • Cops Corner
  • Share

Aug. 29

Big red scare

3:06 a.m. — 100 block of South Nova Road

Burglary and criminal mischief. A 35-year-old Ormond Beach man told police someone was chasing him after the reporting officer asked him why he was out of breath. It later was discovered that the man had broken into a screened-in pool area of a home in a nearby subdivision, and fled when the homeowner spotted him. 

When asked if he had been in the subdivision in question, the man told police he didn't remember. What he did recall, however, was a "big red bus." Police noted that a blood drive bus was stationed in a plaza in front of the subdivision. The man was positively identified by the homeowner and was taken to jail.

On the way there, the man began "moving around sporadically" and damaged the back of the officer's patrol vehicle, the police report states, including ripping the metal protective material from the right passenger window. He had to be transferred to a different police car to complete his transport to jail.

Aug. 30

Do it for the charge

9:10 p.m. — First block of Ormond Lakes Boulevard

Loitering or prowling. When police received a call for a possible burglary, they found a 24-year-old Ohio man on a bike who said he was trying to Daytona Beach. His phone was dying and he needed to charge it, he told police. However, the reporting officer noticed the man couldn't tell him where he was coming from, where he had been or why he was traveling in the wrong direction while holding his phone. The GPS was open, the police report states.

The man said he stopped at a house and asked the homeowner to charge his phone for him. The homeowner declined, and told police he later heard a "metallic banging noise" across his driveway and saw the man trying to open his neighbor's electrical panel.

The officer noted that the man's story made no sense, and that he was unable to dispel his alarm. He was taken to jail.

Aug. 31

Fancy thief

6:15 p.m. — First block of Wilmette Avenue

Grand theft. A 33-year-old Ormond Beach woman was arrested for stealing three party dresses and damaging two pairs of shoes and a tiara. Police report that the woman told officers she thought she could have the items, and began crying as officers asked her questions. 

The woman said she had sold the dresses, but could get them back. The victim, a 61-year-old Ormond Beach woman, told police she located most of her items herself at a local pawn shop. The victim told police that the woman had only returned the shoes and tiara back to her, and they were damaged. One of the heels were painted purple, she said, and the tiara's ricks were "broken out." The tiara is valued at $20. 

The woman was taken to jail.


Related Articles