by: Kelly Brasol
Flagler Beach was the first stop for the second season of the Florida Board Riders North Region. Rolling into town were the teams of Fernandina, Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra, Saint Augustine and Daytona Beach, all vying for the Florida Series Cup.
After a full day of competition, which featured seven divisions of four surfers each (under 14, 15 to 19, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50+, and open women’s), the Jacksonville Board Riders Club prevailed.
- Jax 178.92
- Flagler 136.98
- Daytona 123.58
- St Augustine 110.03
- Fernandina 100.36
- Ponte Vedra 74.47
Contest 2 takes place at the Jax Pier on Nov. 20; contest 3 in St. Augustine on Jan. 22. The top two teams after the three contests will earn the right to compete against the South Division’s top two teams for the State Cup Title.
- 15-19: 2nd (23.72) Gavin Coluccio 3.43, Ryan Huckabee 13.06*, Carl Burger 4.40, & Logan Coluccio 2.83
- 14U: 3rd (14.49) Jimmy Brittain 6.78, Tyko Tran 3.2*, Tanner Brasol 2.0, & Benji Lacy 2.43
- 50 + : 1st (26.2) Marvin Butler 2.6, Anthony Passarelli 13*, Bob Lindsley 5.77 , & Flea Shaw 4.83
- 40’s: 2nd (29.0) Chad Brasol 3.13, Will Tant 6.47, Eric Worley 6.0, Ben Lacy 13.4*
- Open Women: 2nd (13.74) Olivia Beaven 1.6, Kora Passarelli 8.34*, Maddie Franz 1.53 & Sally Cook 2.27
- 30’s: 5th (11.13) Bubba Tyson 4.17, Ryan Kaznocha 1.67, Matt Turner 4.86* & Matt Tran 0.43
- 20’s: 3rd (19.13) Elijah Hair 3.13, Robbie McCormick 11.20*, CJ Garren 2.17 & James Palazzotto 3.03
*These scores were doubled. One surfer per division is designated as the double whammy and they get to claim one of their wave scores to be doubled.
Congratulations to Ryan Huckabee and Robbie McCormick for scoring the highest waves in their respective divisions.
This event was made possible through donations and support from Tortugas Kitchen & Bar, 7-Eleven A1A, Stewart Maxcy Art, Phil Huckabee, Tropical Earth, Flagler Surf Art & Cool Stuff, Florida Board Riders and the City of Flagler Beach.
If you missed the surf action this past weekend, the 20th-annual Tommy Tant Memorial Classic will be taking place Nov. 12-14 in Flagler Beach.