Port Orange homeowners gone for three days, find a woman on their porch

This week on Cops Corner...

  • By
  • | 9:00 a.m. February 26, 2019
  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • News
  • Share

Feb. 16

It wasn’t just the speeding

2:31 a.m. — First block of Dunlawton Avenue 

DUI/Reckless Driving. When an officer asked a 25-year-old Ormond Beach man where he should begin after conducting the traffic stop in a driveway, the young man said "probably the speeding."

The 25-year-old was stopped by police after he was observed driving at a high rate of speed over the bridge, accelerating down the bridge and only letting off the accelerator momentarily to pass the stationary police vehicle, according to a report. The police were able to catch up with the man at a red light on Dunlawton Avenue and Spruce Creek Road. As the light turned green the man sped off. The officer paced the man’s vehicle at 60 mph; they were in a 45 mph zone.

After stopping the man in the 700 block of Dunlawton Avenue, the officer reported the man's eyes were "watery, bloodshot and he was smoking heavily." The man slurred as the officer asked for his license and registration. 

Once the man exited the vehicle he swayed back and forth while standing. When the officer asked where he and his passenger were coming from, the man told him YaYa’s Bar in Daytona Beach. All sobriety tests were failed and during an exercise, police observed the man step off the line and make an improper turn.

The man was arrested, and also cited for the front driver window tint. The man refused to perform a breath test and offered his blood instead, although it was not requested. A gun was later recovered from the vehicle. The man denied it being his and said it was his girlfriend's. The gun was logged for safe keeping for the proper owner and the man was taken to jail. 

Feb. 19

Maybe it was the drugs

1:04 p.m. — Secret River Trail

Loitering or Prowling. A 20-year-old woman was arrested after two homeowners came home from a three-day stay in Jacksonville and found her on their screened-in porch. 

When the homeowners entered the back porch they found the screen had been cut, police report. The woman asked them for a ride to Daytona Beach and they called police. As police spoke to the woman, it appeared she was under the influence of a narcotic. She explained she did “H” the morning prior. She told police she cut the screen and that she felt bad for doing it. The knife she used was sitting on the table next to her, according to the report.

The woman’s recollection of how she ended up there changed several times. At one time, she said she thought the home belonged to her dad’s friend. Her dad resides in Pennsylvania.

Police report that while speaking with the woman, a man stopped because he recognized her. He said he saw her on the beachside the day before and picked her up. They went back to his place where she stayed the night and they drank together, the report states. That morning he was going to give her a ride back to Daytona, but she was gone. 

At that time, the woman changed her story again. She told police they were doing “ice” the day before. Although she said she used a pocket knife from a hotel she was staying at in Daytona to cut the screen, she told police they could return the knife to the man. The man identified the knife and confirmed she may have taken it from him at some point the day before. Police returned the knife. 

The homeowners signed a refusal for burglary and criminal mischief and told police they wanted the woman to get help if she has a drug addiction. The woman was placed under arrest and taken to jail.


Related Articles