A group of vendors, all women, participating in the Sept. 7 Just Us Girls shopping event, have decided to donate 10% of their sales to the Cypress Creek Elementary School PTA.
Tara Anderson, the event's coordinator, said the vendors have, on multiple occasions, donated 50% of their earnings to the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization in Port Orange, which is where the event is held. This September, however, the women wanted the money to go into a school so the PTA could fund teacher grants or events, according to Anderson.
Anderson said they chose Cypress Creek after students helped with a Volusia County Rocks program in April.
"We're all women, so most of us have children in local schools or are members of our community, and we want to support our community." Tara Anderson, Just Us Girls coordinator
"They went above and beyond supporting us," Anderson said.
Next month, the vendors plan to donate part of their funds to Sweetwater Elementary.
According to Anderson, about 65% of the vendors are direct sale companies while the other 35% are homemade products. She added that the shopping event is a way to highlight local business owners in the community while also giving back to students in the area.
"It's just their natural talent or skill at work so we definitely want to support their businesses as well as support our community," Anderson said. "We're all women, so most of us have children in local schools or are members of our community and we want to support our community."
Just Us Girl will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 7, at the VFW, 5810 S. Williamson Blvd.