Four-hour standoff ends peacefully

Granada Boulevard was blocked to traffic.

  • By
  • | 11:43 a.m. March 18, 2016
  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • News
  • Share

Updated at 1:10 p.m., March 18


Granada Boulevard was closed to traffic between Ridgewood Avenue and U.S. 1 for four hours the morning of March 18 as Ormond Beach police were in a standoff with a robbery suspect who finally surrendered at about 8:30 a.m.

Traffic was diverted around the closed off section of Granada Boulevard.

Ormond Beach police were given a description of a car, a gray four-door Dodge, by Daytona Beach police that had fled north on State Road A1A after a robbery in front of a Sunoco gas station on A1A in Daytona Beach.

Ormond Beach police spokesman Keith Walker said Ormond Beach police spotted the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop in front of the police department at 170 W. Granada Blvd. The car pulled into the bank parking lot across the street and four people exited the car and surrendered after getting commands from police.

The fifth person did not come out and the standoff began.

According to the incident report, the suspects who surrendered told the officers that the suspect in the car had passed out after taking Xanax. They also advised there was a gun under the driver’s seat. Officers could see the suspect move around in the rear seat. At one point they saw him lie down.

Walker said police stood by with guns drawn and talked to the occupant over a loudspeaker but the suspect did not respond. Also, one of the suspects who surrendered gave the police his cell phone number. Ormond Beach police called him on the phone but he would not answer.

After Daytona Beach police arrived with a swat team and an armored vehicle, the suspect at first refused to comply with their commands but eventually surrendered without incident.

He was arrested and taken away by Daytona Beach police.



Latest News


Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning local news.