South Daytona man arrested at Ormond Beach apartment complex for causing a disturbance

This week, in Cops Corner...

  • By
  • | 3:00 p.m. February 7, 2023
File photo
  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • Share

Jan. 23

Ding dong dairy

9:07 p.m. — 100 block of Ormond Shores Drive, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. Officers responded to a local home after a resident reported that his roommate's ex-boyfriend had kicked down their front door and thrown ice cream into the living room.

According to a police report, the 50-year-old resident said he had been out grocery shopping with his girlfriend when his roommate, a 35-year-old Ormond Beach woman, reported what had transpired. Officers inspected the door and saw that parts of the broken lock were on the floor along with a portion of the door frame. The resident stated that the damages would cost almost $200, and he wished to press charges.

The roommate said that she had heard a knock on the door and thought it was the resident returning from the store. She noticed it was her ex instead, a 46-year-old Ormond Beach man, and he had ice cream in his hand. He kicked down the door in one try and threw it into the living room, the roommate reported. She ran to her room, where she locked the door and called 911. She told officers she was not sure if he was trying to throw the ice cream at her.

Police were unable to find the man. 

Jan. 27

A fighting stance

3:20 p.m. — 600 block of Crowne Court, Ormond Beach

Breach of peace. Police arrested a 40-year-old South Daytona man after he ran around a local apartment complex banging on windows and trying door handles.

When police arrived at the scene, the man was sitting in a golf cart owned by the complex. He appeared to be on narcotics, officers noted in a police report, stating that he was "moving around a lot and talking very fast with mainly unintelligible words." The reporting officer asked him if he lived in the complex and why he was sitting in the golf cart, to which the man replied something along the lines of "You don't know who I am. I fight," according to the report. 

The man then exited the golf cart and removed his shirt. When police attempted to place him in handcuffs, the man withdrew his arm and "took a fighting stance." Police tased him, and were then able to detain him. 

An employee of the complex told police the man had initially opened the door to the leasing office to ask for a long-sleeved shirt and to use the golf cart. She told him no, and locked the door, after which the man began to cause the disturbance. 

He was taken to jail. 

Jan. 31

Don't give rides to strangers

4:33 p.m. — 100 block of South Nova Road, Ormond Beach

Fraud. An 87-year-old Ormond Beach woman was scammed out of $5,000 after she was approached by a woman in a local shopping center, claiming she was trying to donate funds to a church and that a church van was waiting for her in a nearby plaza. 

The resident agreed to give her a ride, and when they arrived at the plaza, she saw the woman pull out a large wad of cash and begin fanning it out, according to a police report. The resident told her to put it away for her safety, and then the woman — who claimed she couldn't read English very well — asked her to read letters for her. The letters indicated that the woman was the beneficiary of a large sum of inheritance. 

The woman then asked the resident about the location of the church she allegedly was planning to donate to, and the resident responded that she didn't know where it was. The woman then flagged down a man in the parking lot, pretending he was a stranger, and acted as if she were asking him for directions.

The man, posing as a "financial advisor," offered to help the woman, and led her into one of the businesses in the plaza. When he returned, he asked that the resident take him to a local bank and withdraw $5,000 of her own money, then return to show the woman that he wasn't going to scam her. The resident told him multiple times that she wished to go home, but eventually complied with his request. 

Once she did, she returned the man to the plaza, where he walked with the woman to an unknown location, according to the police report. When the resident returned home, she noticed the $5,000 in cash she had withdrawn was missing. 

She wished to press charges. 


Related Articles