Police break up large party with loud music, underaged drinking in Ormond Beach

This week in Cops Corner...

  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • News
  • Share

Jan. 13

Party bust

10:44 p.m. — First block of North Tymber Creek Road, Ormond Beach

Noise. Police responded to a home after receiving noise complaints about a party.

As the reporting officer was arriving, he could hear music down the block and could see a large bonfire outside, according to a police incident report. Once at the home, he noticed there was a group of 50 or more people, many of whom appeared to be under 21 years old, though alcoholic beverages were present. Once the party-goers spotted the officer, they began to scatter.

The officer commanded the group to turn off the music and told them they weren't allowed to leave until he spoke with the homeowner, at which point some of them told him they had been engaging in underaged drinking.

The officer waited for about 20 minutes until the homeowner came outside to speak with him. The officer noted that the man "did not seem to have much care for the fact that a large group of people were illegally drinking alcoholic beverages unsupervised on his property," according to the report. 

The man was told he would be responsible for any consequences of underaged drinking for those that fled the party, and the man said he understood and that he hadn't realized the party guests had been drinking alcohol.

The homeowner then broke up the party. 

Jan. 26

Footprints in the dirt

2:24 p.m. — 200 block of South Yonge Street, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. Local small business owners called police after they found rocks and dirt in the back of their trailer, a day after they spotted two boys throwing rocks and chunks of dirt in the area.

The business owners told police that they had been leaving for work the day before when they noticed the boys in a grassy area where trees had been removed, and that they asked them to stop, according to an incident report. When the officer arrived at the scene, he noted he could see small footprints in the dirt mound.

The officer went around a nearby apartment building, asking residents about the boys. He found one of them, who said his friend had thrown rocks at the trailer but that he hadn't done anything wrong. The officer then spoke to that boy's mother, who said it was the other boy who had thrown the rocks.

The business owners didn't wish to get the kids in trouble, so they asked for a report to show the apartment building's management that the tenants were responsible for the damage. 


Latest News


Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning local news.