Police officer discovers rotting deer carcasses left behind in pickup truck

This week in Cops Corner ...

  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • Cops Corner
  • Share

Sept. 19

Putrid pickup

7:24 a.m. — First block of Brookwood Court, Ormond Beach

Suspicious vehicle. A police officer found rotting deer carcasses in the bed of a pickup truck after a resident complained of a bad smell coming from the vehicle.

The truck had been parked in front of the resident's home for about 24 hours, and the resident had not seen anyone entering or exiting the truck during that time, according to a police report. The officer tried to contact the truck's registered owner, but was unsuccessful.

Because the truck was also blocking traffic, police towed the vehicle.

Sept. 21


12:12 p.m. — 2000 block of North Beach Street, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. A city pump station was vandalized with graffiti depicting a "possible satanic symbol" in at least one area, according to a police report. 

Police spoke with the city's chief water plant operator, who said he was notified of the graffiti by a field tech who forwarded him photos of the damage, estimated at $1,700. He told police this wasn't the first time the pump station, inaccessible to the public without a four-wheel drive vehicle, had been vandalized. 

The reporting officer noted that while there is a "No Trespassing" sign on the property, the trail that leads to the pump station is a common shortcut for fishermen going to the Intracoastal Waterway. He advised the plant operator, who plans to put a fence around the pump station, to place cameras on the trail.

Sept. 22

Severed connection

12:58 p.m. — 400 block of River Square Lane, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. A 42-year-old Ormond Beach woman called police to report that her ex-husband had ripped out the wires for her internet.

The woman said her ex was seen by a neighbor pulling the wires out from the cable box shortly before she lost her internet connection, according to a police report. She then saw him in her bushes before he left on his motorcycle. A company repairman restored her internet and confirmed to police that the cables appeared to have been cut.

The company informed her she would not be billed for the damage. But if she was, she told police, she would pursue charges.


Latest News


Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning local news.