Local church reports missing bottles of holy oil

This week in Cops Corner...

  • Ormond Beach Observer
  • Cops Corner
  • Share

Jan. 9

Unholy theft

5:11 p.m. — 600 block of South Nova Road, Ormond Beach

Burglary. A local church employee called police after three containers of holy oil were stolen.

According to a police report, the employee told the reporting officer that the oils were taken from a cabinet near the altar, and that she didn't know exactly when the items were taken, but that they were first noticed missing on Dec. 30. The officer tried to find fingerprints, but was unsuccessful. The employee suspected the culprit was the same person who left a drug pipe on the altar during a previous incident. 

Jan. 17

Morning greetings

8:25 a.m. — 600 block of Fleming Avenue, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. Police responded to a local park after an Ormond Beach resident reported seeing a man leaving the women's restroom with a bicycle. 

The woman told the officer that the man greeted her with "good morning" as he passed her, and that she responded by asking him if he knew he had just used the women's restroom. The man told her that there were "creepy men" in the men's restroom, according to a police report, and that his "old lady was just in there." 

The woman didn't see anyone else around, though. She told him "it is still the women's restroom," and the man looked shocked at her response, the report states. When she finally entered the restroom, she found graffiti, ashes in the sink and discovered that the toilet area was flooded.

The police report states that the graffiti contained derogatory remarks and phrases, as well as a phone number. City staff indicated that the graffiti would be painted over. 

The officer noted he would keep an eye out for transient activity in the area.

Jan. 22

You break it...

9:41 a.m. — 500 block of South Atlantic Avenue, Ormond Beach

Vandalism. A 19-year-old man from Interlachen paid $200 to a local hotel after he smashed one of its pool chairs. 

According to a police report, the man was seen walking around the hotel's pool and throwing furniture into the water on video surveillance before returning to his room. Hotel staff had to remove all the furniture from the pool in the morning, and that's when they discovered the broken chair. The man admitted to the reporting officer that he was responsible for the damages.

Because an agreement to pay for the chair was reached, the man avoided arrest. He was trespassed from the property.


Latest News


Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning local news.