The Palm Coast Fire Department has started Project Green Wreath, a fire safety project that tracks the number of structure fires in December.
The program emphasizes fire safety over the holidays. Large wreaths with green light bulbs have been hung at all five stations, and firefighters will replace one green light with a red light for each structure fire during December, according to a press release from the city.
"Project Green Wreath is a visual reminder of the importance of implementing and following fire safety practices during the holiday season," Palm Coast Fire Chief Kyle Berryhill said.
The PCFD reminds residents to follow these holiday safety tips:
- Don’t overload circuits.
- Throw away damaged light strings.
- Choose Christmas trees with fresh, green needles.
- Keep trees away from ignition sources.
- Water trees daily.
- Clean the oven regularly and don't store flammable materials in it.
- Double-check that smoke alarms are in working order.
- Keep candles at a safe distance from children and decorations and never leave a candle unattended.